[Bioperl-l] regarding DB_File and Data::Stag

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:36:54 UTC 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 5:54 PM, Mark Jensen <maj at fortinbras.us> wrote:

> I personally think this is a great idea. DB_File is a real pain (still!) on ActivePerl and as Francisco sez is probably wasting people's time and making them irritated and pushing them to the Py dark side.

Lots of things contribute to that, but the installation and dependency path doesn’t help.  Frankly, I’m multi-lingual now (perl, python, learning JS), they simply all have their quirks but I happen to like Perl’s best :)

Biopython, btw, also has it’s detractors; lots of users simply do not get OOP, and all the Bio* toolkits heavily invest in that.  Can’t please everyone.

> Ages ago I even put up SQLite_File https://metacpan.org/pod/SQLite_File and AnyDBM_File just to be able to failover from DB_File. (Finally, I just went to a real OS…)

That’s essentially the same problem I ran into when working on Windows.  When I found myself using remote (Linux/Mac) servers to get work done using BioPerl I switched.

chris