[Bioperl-l] bioperl on CentOS 6.4

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 23 13:16:39 UTC 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Leon Timmermans <l.m.timmermans at students.uu.nl<mailto:l.m.timmermans at students.uu.nl>> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Fields, Christopher J <cjfields at illinois.edu<mailto:cjfields at illinois.edu>> wrote:
Ah, this is the piece I was missing.  This looks like a problem with the local perl CPAN configuration; these lines are the clue:

Package seems to come without Makefile.PL
(The test -f "/root/.cpan/build/CJFIELDS-T5oDhJ/Makefile.PL” returned false.)

We use Module::Build, not Extutil::MakeMaker; this is why there is no Makefile.PL.  I can try looking into what may be going on; maybe try installing Module::Build to see if that addresses the problem?  There may be an RPM for it, though it normally come with perl core.

The other clue is this line: "Writing one on our own (setting NAME to BioPerl)". If it can't find an install tool, CPAN.pm writes a tiny MakeMaker.PL as a fallback. This pretty much should only happen on ancient CPAN.pm versions. CentOS 6.4 ships with perl 5.10.1, which is not that ancient, however the default install doesn't include cpan.

Leon

Yeah, it needs the perl-CPAN RPM.  For some reason I thought this was in perl-devel.

-c