[Bioperl-l] Bug #2936

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 15 14:46:11 UTC 2013

Sure, a pull request would be good.  I suggest making sure you are in sync with the 'master' branch first, but I don't think you'll run into conflicts with that.

My guess is we'll need to pull this into a branch and test rigorously first if it is to go into a bioperl 1.6.  One of the (many?) problems with Bio::Location is that it assumes all features are on linear chromosomes, so there is quite a bit of logic/magic built-in with that assumption that tends to be wrong (e.g. sort order of sublocations and so on, which breaks split locations).

Frankly, I think we could really simplify this logic so that it is less magic, less fuzzy, and it would bite us in the ass a lot less, but of course this breaks backcompat.  So, my feeling is such fixes would be handled better in a BioPerl v2.

chris