[Bioperl-l] Protein Records without Sequence

Warren Gallin wgallin at ualberta.ca
Wed Jun 5 22:10:51 UTC 2013

OK, I see where this is coming from.  If I get a record without the protein sequence I can evaluate it and then retrieve again as a fast file and put it into the Bio::Seq object.

Do you have any idea how they are going to handle this one-to-many mapping?  Given that a single protein sequence may be linked to multiple different nucleotide sequences, even from different species, that means that a single protein sequence record may be tied to several different nucleotide sequence records.

However, when I look up a couple of WP_XXXXXX records, I get the protein sequence but there is no DBSOURCE field, and there is no "coded_by"tag in the feature table so there is no direct way to find the underlying nucleotide sequence(s).

See WP_004062662.1  GI:490164010 as an example.

Is there any current way of retrieving the coding sequence starting from a protein record like this?

Warren Gallin

I am hoping that all of these fields that will now have multiple entries are going to be easily