[Bioperl-l] Parsing Blast-Report extracting "Features flanking .."

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:00:16 UTC 2013

We don't parse the NCBI feature info from the BLAST reports per your query. To look up a specific feature you can use Bio::DB::GenBank to query for sequence from a specific feature by accession number - see the HOWTOs for that.

However, most people use tools that generate SAM/BAM files with short reads - then you can use a tool like bedtools to find overlaps of reads with the locations of features.

basically:
- download the genome and GFF for arabidopsis
- align your sRNA to the genome with a short read aligner - bowtie, bwa, others
- convert your sam to bam file with SAMtools or picard
- compare the location of features with the reads to get expression summaries or individuals reads with BEDTools