[Bioperl-l] problem installing BioPerl

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Aug 26 02:45:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-26, Alexey Morozov <alexeymorozov1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, would you please explain what's the difference (if any) between
> installing bioperl via CPAN, by 'sudo apt-get install libbio-perl-perl' and
> just 'sudo apt-get install bioperl'.

Installing from CPAN installs what the Bioperl authors distribute.
Installing via apt-get installs what the distribution maintainers
redistribute.  You'd have to ask the distro maintainers what the
difference between the two packages are (if any; it's possible one is an
alias for the other).

> It seems like CPAN install does not
> carry along the external software dependencies (eg clustalw), but I'm not
> sure.

CPAN almost never installs non-Perl software.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us