[Bioperl-l] hash randomization failures for bioperl modules (perl 5.18.0)

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 9 20:24:09 UTC 2013

Just a note that several modules are failing for perl 5.18.0; this is likely due to the new hash randomization added:

    http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/perl/pod/perldelta.pod#Hash_randomization

Travis-CI test results are here:

    https://travis-ci.org/bioperl/bioperl-live/jobs/10041002

I can confirm these as well running them locally.

It's possible these are relegated to the tests themselves, which I'll check into.  I have also committed a fix for the Bio::Map tests.  In the meantime, just a note for the future: these are true bugs in the sense that there is some reliance on the order of keys/values returned from a hash remaining the same (e.g. reliance on the hash seed not changing).  This is not the case and has long been noted in perl core documentation, so the perl devs have introduced hash randomization to pinpoint these problem areas.