[Bioperl-l] genbank/embl format ebnf or other formal description

Dan Kortschak dan.kortschak at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 22:26:16 UTC 2012

Hi Hilmar,

Yes, I plan to use ragel, which recently does again support Go at least in a non-official fork, which looks like it will be merged into Adrian's repo. (It might be a nice project for a student to implement a perl back end for ragel - though the absence of formal format descriptions makes its utility for bioperl somewhat moot ;).

I'd be interested to see the GSoC project if it's public yet - I'm in the process of writing a pure Go SAM/BAM package to replace my boom interface to libbam.

I can see why a generic parser is not appropriate for a perl-based parser (for the same reason I'm not using a generic Go parser, but rather a parser generator). The fact remains, a formal specification is beneficial for testing correctness and avoiding some of the problems bioperl has had in the past when NCBI has changed formats under bioperl's feet.

cheers
Dan