[Bioperl-l] genbank/embl format ebnf or other formal description

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:39:19 UTC 2012

Christopher,

I think Dan's question is orthogonal to actually parsing a file; it relates more to proper formatting for a particular format based on a specification as well as potential downstream validation.  Bio::SeqIO::genbank is geared for flexibility and can handle a lot of mis-formatted data, it can massage some data into the proper format if needed.  One must recognize the primary driver for the parsers is to get data into objects, not as a format converter (that just happens to be a nice useful side effect).

The problem is, like many formats, a formal specification for Genbank format doesn't exist outside of the NCBI example file (old and incomplete) and the FT definition as far as I know, so calling something 'official' Genbank format isn't possible outside of NCBI.

chris (f)