[Bioperl-l] genbank/embl format ebnf or other formal description

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Sat Sep 8 03:39:44 UTC 2012

Re: Genbank, the only know specification I know of is for the feature table portion of the format as you have below.  They do have a (possibly out of date) example file, note it isn't easily found unless you search for it:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Sitemap/samplerecord

EMBL is better in this regard:

    http://www.ebi.ac.uk/embl/Documentation/User_manual/usrman.html

Note that UniProt Knowledgebase also has a user manual outlining the similarities and differences with EMBL:

    http://web.expasy.org/docs/userman.html

chris