[Bioperl-l] get geneID for gene names

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Wed May 2 23:12:14 UTC 2012

If you're looking for gene information, why are you searching UniSTS?
Unless I've overlooked something, wouldn't it be more useful to search the "gene" database and tighten up your query a bit?

#!/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(
    -eutil      => 'esearch',
    -db         => 'gene',
    -term       => '(copg[Gene Name]) AND mouse[Organism]',
    -email      => 'hnorpois at mpipsykl.mpg.de',
    -usehistory => 'y'
);

my $hist = $factory->next_History || die "No history data returned";

$factory->set_parameters(
    -eutil   => 'efetch',
    -history => $hist
);