[Bioperl-l] New to bioperl

Frank Schwach fs5 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 15:46:04 UTC 2012

Hi Joel,

This is certainly possible with BioPerl and it would be a great way of
learning Perl and BioPerl with a real application in mind, but you have
to be aware of the fact that the initial learning curve will be steep
and you will need to invest quite a bit of time to get going.
If you want to do it, start on the BioPerl HOWTO pages, e.g. to see how
to run BLAST from a script:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:BlastPlus
and how to read the BLAST report with a script:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO

There are examples that you can run and use as a starting point for your
own scripts.
Once you have your annotation (e.g. you found a good hit to a region in
the genome and want to annotate the region with the gene name and
description from the hit), you could construct your genome with
annotations using another (or even the same) BioPerl script, where you
would build something called a Bio::Seq object, which is described here:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Feature-Annotation

which you can finally write to a flat text file in EMBL or GENBANK
format or as a GFF file. You could even decide to turn that into a
database and run a local copy of some genome browser off that. Plenty of
options (this can often be one of the main problems..)
The best way of getting help is to start scripting and when it fails,
post your script along with a specific question here. If it is not a
BioPerl but a general Perl question, you should also check out the
really helpful community on perlmonks.org.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Frank

On 24/01/12 14:46, Bradyjoel wrote:

> Hi Roy,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply, I already tried xbase and it finds some of
> the exopolysacharide biosynthesis genes that I’m looking for but only the
> genes that are already annotated in the other organisms. I also tried to
> merge these results but it still misses some of the genes  or the correct
> annotation and merging also cost a lot of time. Since I am only looking for
> a certain set of genes, I thought it might be easier to use a certain script
> that can blast these these protein queries and add the annotation at the
> locations were it finds simularity in my sequence. I already tried to make a
> script myself but I'm still troubled how to connect the output of ablast to
> the action of adding the gene information and write it to a certain file.
>
> Joel
>

> Roy Chaudhuri-3 wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joel,
>>
>> This is possible using BioPerl, but it may be simpler to use an online
>> automated annotation service eg:
>> http://www.xbase.ac.uk/annotation
>>
>> Roy.
>>
>> On 24/01/2012 13:38, Bradyjoel wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm somewhat new to the bioinformatics but I need to annotate a newly
>>> sequenced bacterial genome based on some known proteins amino acid
>>> sequences
>>> from a neighbouring organism. I've been doing this manually with tblastn