[Bioperl-l] Reading protein from file - error

sukeerthi teja Rallapalli tejaminnu at gmail.com
Mon May 30 03:12:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have been trying to execute this program and i am getting an error. Kindly
help me.

#!usr/bin/perl -w

# The filename of the file which contains the protein sequence
$proteinfilename =
'/users/sukeerthiteja/desktop/perl/NM_021964fragment.pep';

# First open the file and associate a filehandle with it. for readability
purpose lets use the filehandle PROTEINFILE.
open(PROTEINFILE, $proteinfilename);

# Now we do the actual reading of the protein sequence data from the file,by
using < > to get
# input from the filehandle. We store the data into variable $protein
$protein = <PROTEINFILE>;

#now that we got our data we can close the file
close PROTEINFILE;

#Print the protein onto the screen
print "Here is the protein:\n\n";

print $protein;

exit;

ERROR:

sukeerthi-tejas-macbook-pro:desktop sukeerthiteja$ perl 1.pl
Here is the protein:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf350

I am not able to print the protein content on the screen.

Thank you
Regards
Teja