[Bioperl-l] blast best hit

Frank Schwach fs5 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 15:06:41 UTC 2011

Hi Boyang,

With best_hit_only set to "true" (as you have done now) you should be
able to use the usual way of parsing the BLAST report with

while (my $result = $blast_io->next_result) {
  my $hit = $result->next_hit;
  ... (do something with the hit)
}

Because there should be only one hit now. 'best_hit_only' is a flag, an
indicator that tells the parser to limit the output to the best hit. It
does not itself return any hits.

Even if you used the

while (my $hit=$result->next_hit){..

inner loop (as in the BioPerl HOWTOs) you should now only ever get one
hit retunred from that loop, which is the best hit for the result. I
haven't tried this but it should work.

Personally, I'd not use this option and rather sort or filter the hits
because tomorrow you might want to find out what the next best hit
actually was and how close the e-values and bits were or something like
that.

Hope this helps,

Frank