[Bioperl-l] hmmer3.pm question re query and hit coordinates

Thomas Sharpton thomas.sharpton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:45:42 UTC 2011

Hi Scott,

Thanks for writing. I'm on the road at the moment so I have to be
briefer and less thorough than I'd like to be.

What you are observing is not the intended behavior. Oddly, it's not
what I recall obtaining in my tests on this software, though I was
mostly interested in hmmsearch at the time and may have been sloppier
than I should have been when it came to hmmscan.

What version of HMMER3 you're using? There have been some small
formatting changes in the past that might be causing a burp in the
parser, though I'm doubting it.

Kai Blin wrote some test scripts (found here: bioperl-live/t/SearchIO/
hmmer.t) that, if I recall correctly, evaluate query/hit coordinates.
It might be worth giving this a shot if you haven't already.

Also, if you don't mind, I'm happy to run your code on your output
file on my end. It might help me diagnose the problem.

Sorry this is being a thorn in your side! I've cc'ed the list in case
anyone else has insight into this matter.

Best,
Thomas