[Bioperl-l] [Gmod-gbrowse] scores in Bio::DB::BigBed

Lincoln Stein lincoln.stein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:04:50 UTC 2011

Hi Dan,

The documentation for BigBed is scanty; all I know about it is what is
provided by the bigbed library is in Jim Kent's bigbed.h include file. I had
thought that the scores in BED files would come through into the summary
statistics like those in BigWig, but now I'm looking at the example data
provided in Jim's source code, and see that the BigBed example source file
has scores of "0".

I'll investigate whether there is an issue in the Perl layer, but it could
easily be a limitation in the library itself. Have you considered using a
BedGraph file and indexing it with bedGraphToBigWig? I know that the
Bio::DB::BigWig interface works perfectly to retrieve and summarize the
scores.

Lincoln