[Bioperl-l] Bioperl-run Wrappers

Ben Bimber bbimber at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:18:56 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm using CommandExts to wrap a number of tools.  In a pipeline I was
looking to make the tools log their current version.  I realized that
instead of using run() in a unique way for each tool, perhaps there
should be a consistent method that gets called and returns a version
string.  because obtaining this version string is specific to the
tool, perhaps each wrapper could provide a version() method that runs
the appropriate command on the executable, parses, then returns some
string.  has something like this been discussed?  have others already
solved this?

Thanks,
Ben