[Bioperl-l] Trimming low quality reads

Ben Bimber bbimber at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 17:10:34 UTC 2011

Fastx is great and we use those tools in a number of places, but If
I'm not mistaken, doesnt its trimming involve filters their either
including or excluding the read as a whole, rather than end clipping?

The need probably depends on your data.  With short reads, I could
imagine that's what you want.  With 500bp 454 reads, end clipping is
nice.  I ended up making a simple little (and not terribly efficient)
script that does 3' end clipping.  My datasets are orders of magnitude
smaller than what you posted though....

-Ben