[Bioperl-l] DNA Sequencing two questions

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Wed Dec 7 21:59:18 UTC 2011

I did something similar a few years ago (after watching the movie "Contact" I think) and encoded codons as RGB values and drew an image of a genome. Looked much like random noise but I might try it again and draw as a space filling curve.
I guess if you're looking for "hidden messages", why restrict yourself to 2 dimensions?  Perhaps something pops out as a single-image stereogram eg. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Stereogram_Tut_Random_Dot_Shark.png
Perhaps it's a 3D "object" represented by slices drawn in a series of 2D planes?

But you need a bit of biological background as there will be patterns simply because of the way genes "work" and are laid out in chromosomes. You need to remember that DNA is effectively a 2D representation of a 3D protein structure and there is already much hidden information we know we don't understand - a "simple" task like how proteins fold is barely understood and why some become prions is still a mystery.

But don't let this stop you uncovering the great secret hidden in our genes :-)

On a similar note, have a look at http://medgadget.com/2011/10/send-your-secret-message-hidden-in-bacteria.html

--Russell

sender immediately.