[Bioperl-l] SimpleAlign and consensus_string

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:58:59 UTC 2011

There are several methods that do related things.

Below is the documentation for the method - it allows a more strict calling besides majority rule voting for the position - if you set the cutoff at 50% then the called AA or NT has to appear at least 50% of the time. There is also an IUPAC consensus string which is useful for DNA consensus generating patterns.

If you want a summary as to whether or not there are only conservative amino acid changes in the column use match_line method which generates the similar string that CLUSTALW reports as a summary string for each column.

=head2 consensus_string

 Title     : consensus_string
 Usage     : $str = $ali->consensus_string($threshold_percent)
 Function  : Makes a strict consensus
 Returns   : Consensus string
 Argument  : Optional treshold ranging from 0 to 100.
             The consensus residue has to appear at least threshold %
             of the sequences at a given location, otherwise a '?'
             character will be placed at that location.
             (Default value = 0%)

=cut