[Bioperl-l] GSoC/BioPerl Reorganization Project

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 29 05:15:01 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 07:15 PM, Siddhartha Basu wrote:
> At what point in flow the dependencies between the split modules will be
> added. Is there any particular order the split modules would be created.

Dependencies are added and characterized at the time each distribution
is created.  That's why the splitting order starts at Bio::Root, so that
you can proceed up the hierarchy of dependencies without having to
modify the dependency lists of the distributions that have already been
extracted.

> And how those split off modules will be released in CPAN,  one by one as
> they being generated or all of them in a batch after which they will
> follow their release schedule.

One by one, as they are generated.  I think it would be a good idea to
re-release bioperl-live with each split as well.  This will probably
lead to bioperl-live being released nearly every week as the split is
ongoing.  As a consequence, the master branch of bioperl-live will need
to be kept in very good shape.  This is easy if you just follow good
practice: develop in branches, run *all* the tests before committing, go
on IRC and send pull requests for code review, etc.

Rob