[Bioperl-l] bp_genbank2gff3.pl

Scott Cain scott at scottcain.net
Sat Sep 18 09:17:24 UTC 2010

Hi Dave,

bp_genbank2gff3.pl suffers from the fact that it has to deal with
GenBank files :-)  It was designed initially to work on whole genome
refseqs, and contains several ad hoc rules for trying to make it "do
the right thing."  In practice, it is not unusual for a post
processing step (either by hand or a quicky perl script) to be
required to really get it right.  I don't recall the specifics (if I
ever knew :-) for when and how the locus tag is used, but I do know
that there is a list of things that it will try to use for the ID, and
while the locus is on the list, I don't know where it comes in the
list, so it's possible that other items might supersede it.

Scott