[Bioperl-l] git branches, tags, 'topic/bug_####'

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki.lehvaslaiho at gmail.com
Thu May 13 16:48:14 UTC 2010

I second Hilmar. Let's try to keep this simple.

While for most people just beginning to use git this discussion seems
confusing and the structures complex, things really are pretty simple.

I expect most of the branches to live only in developers copies of the repo.
They are created when work starts on the new bug or a feature, merged to
master when work is done, and removed immediately or soon after that. Most
of the work is done in the master and only the release managers touch the
stable and release branches. See Jay's flow diagram.

Work flow for this is (while calling 'git status' all the time):

git branch $new
git checkout $new
# work
git commit
git commit
git checkout master
git merge $new
git push
git branch -d $new

    -Heikki

Heikki Lehvaslaiho - skype:heikki_lehvaslaiho
cell: +966 545 595 849  office: +966 2 808 2429

Computational Bioscience Research Centre (CBRC), Building #2, Office #4216
4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia