[Bioperl-l] Restriction Enzymes

Staffa, Nick (NIH/NIEHS) [C] staffa at niehs.nih.gov
Tue May 25 13:54:17 UTC 2010

The tutorial, I discovered, has an error.
a very bad experience for a trusting newby.
whereas the tutorial has these bold examples in the first box under
Identifying restriction enzyme sites (Bio::Restriction)

use Bio::Restriction::EnzymeCollection;
my $all_collection = Bio::Restriction::EnzymeCollection;

This is the form of the statement that seems to work:
my $all_collection = Bio::Restriction::EnzymeCollection->new();

All the other stuff necessary for my purpose of getting fragment lengths is there and seems to work
if the $enzyme database has the enzyme under the name you enter.
Updating the database with the file from NEB seems to be up to the user or his sysadmin.