[Bioperl-l] SearchIO, StandAloneBlastPlus

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Wed Mar 17 21:53:38 UTC 2010

It's all a bit complicated as this page is on a public site but our blast server is internal and restricted so there's no direct communication between them.
The public site takes the data from the blast requect and writes it to a template file then puts it in a folder that the internal blast server checks every 10 seconds. When a new request is found, it does the blast , creates the image and map with Bio::Graphics, then transfers it to a folder on the public server. As a sneaky bodge so I don't have to transfer the image, it's base64 encoded in the html then stripped out later. The blast result page keeps refreshing until it sees the required result has returned then displays the page.
It sounds a bit odd but as blast runs on one of our main servers, we don't want anyone to be able to "accidently" run commands on it - no one has hacked our servers yet :)

There's some good stuff in the BioPerl howtos http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Graphics and http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO