[Bioperl-l] GFF to GTF converter

Alexander Kanapin Alexander.Kanapin at oicr.on.ca
Thu Mar 11 15:56:41 UTC 2010

Hi BioPerl gurus,

Does anybody knows a reliable GFF to GTF converter which can generate files acceptable by cufflinks ?

We attempted to convert a drosophila and worm genome GFFs  (taken from Flybase and Wormbase ftp) to GTF with Bio::FeatureIO

#read from a file
my $in  = Bio::FeatureIO->new(-file => $infile , -format => 'GFF');

#write out features
my $out = Bio::FeatureIO->new(-file    => ">$outfile" ,
                           -format  => 'GFF' ,
                           -version => 2.5);

However, we discovered that the resulting file is not compliant with GTF format specifications as they are described here: http://mblab.wustl.edu/GTF22.html
Although, this chunk of code produces CDS and exon entries in the output file, it does not output start codon/stop codon annotations.
Also, we think it misinterprets annotations, so that one do see UTR entries annotated as CDS' or exons.

Many thanks for ideas/notes.

Alex

--
Alexander Kanapin, PhD
Scientific Associate

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
MaRS Centre, South Tower
101 College Street, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 0A3
Tel: 647-260-7993
Toll-free: 1-866-678-6427
www.oicr.on.ca <http://www.oicr.on.ca/>
This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this message may not be that of the organization.