[Bioperl-l] Merge branch 'master' ?

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 8 11:59:24 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Jay Hannah wrote:
>
>>  git remote add rkhaja git://github.com/rkhaja/bioperl-live.git
>>  git fetch rkhaja
>>  git checkout -b rkhaja-merge rkhaja/master
>>  git rebase master
>>  git checkout master
>>  git merge rkhaja-merge
>>  git branch -d rkhaja-merge
>

> When this gets adopted and documented, it'd be really great to annotate each line with what it is motivated by (i.e., why do this), as otherwise this sequence reads rather obtuse to probably most people except the fully git initiated.
>
> 	-hilmar

Good idea.  Also, one of the key distinctions we also need to make clear is how branches differ on svn and git (and why it is easy to branch with git).

However, I don't want to necessarily repeat documentation that is better described elsewhere, so maybe a brief explanation of the above with links to Pro Git (http://progit.org/book/) or other resources?  Can't recommend that book enough...