[Bioperl-l] Newbie question: getting latest version and keeping up to date

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 10:07:38 UTC 2010

On 24 July 2010 07:47, David B <david.breimann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

> 1. Is installing from github an alternative to Build.pL/CPAN options?

Yes, see this page:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Using_Git

> 2. Does installing from github simply mean cloning than adding the
> path to PERL5LIB? That's it?

You could do that, or you could apply 'the mantra':

perl Build.PL
./Build test
./Build install

Don't forget to complain about all failed tests to the appropriate maintainers.

> 3. I want to use bp_genbank2gff3.pl for circular genomes and I was
> told I'd better use the developers release of bioperl because only it
> handles circular genomes correctly. Does it mean I need to clone ...-
> dev instead of -live and replace the path accordingly?

AFAICT, bioperl-live is "the developers release". Just don't install
"bioperl-dead" ... that's really, really bad.