[Bioperl-l] Final BioPerl 1.6 release

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 16 15:23:53 UTC 2010

My thoughts on this:

It sounds like a good plan.

Also, it increases the urgency for the stuff on the development roadmap
for the 1.7 release (well, releases!), the biggest of which is breaking
things up into smaller distributions with independent versions.

Jonathan Leto and I did some pilot work on the nuts and bolts of doing
this, and we discovered something a bit counterintuitive: it's much
better to do any large-scale splitting of BioPerl by starting at the
root of the dependency graph, splitting off Bio::Root first.  The reason
for this is that each distribution's build system must keep a list of
the modules that it depends on.

If splitting is not done bottom-up, the dependency lists of dists that
have already been split off have to be continually changed (manually,
usually) to keep them up to date, which is not scalable for the large
numbers of distributions that will be involved here.

So, something to think about going forward.

Rob