[Bioperl-l] Transcribe in bioperl

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 25 04:39:43 UTC 2010

I think the main reason there hasn't been a transcribe() is that very few users ask for it.  Most just use a quick '$seq =~ tr/T/U/', or use spliced_seq() and/or translate() (i.e. they don't care about the intermediate mRNA).  I don't have a problem with adding a transcribe method to PrimarySeq, but (and Mark has already picked up on this) it should be constrained to DNA only and return RNA.  And there might be a case for adding the analogous reverse_translate().

Also worth adding this to the proper interface class (PrimarySeqI, I think) so all Seq/PrimarySeq will have it (or have to implement their own).

chris