[Bioperl-l] BioPerl, CPAN Modules, and Linux Packages

Dave Clements clements at nescent.org
Fri Feb 19 18:57:09 UTC 2010

Hello all,

One question that came up at last month's GMOD meeting was "What are the
best practices for mixing and matching CPAN modules and Linux packages?"

Users can sometimes find a Perl module at both CPAN and as a Linux package.
Sometimes, a module is only available from CPAN.  Installing a Linux package
is generally much easier for novice users, but then users run the risk of
their packages and CPAN modules interacting badly (don't they?).

I've scanned the BioPerl site for guidance on when to go with CPAN and when
to use a Linux package, but I can't find anything.  Would someone who
understands this be willing to create a BioPerl.org page about when to chose
what, and what problems might arise from mixed installations (and maybe even
how to address them)?  The page could just be pointers to external pages
that address this.

Thanks,

Dave C.

--