[Bioperl-l] Simulate fragment and read-pair reads from sample sequence

Aaron Mackey ajmackey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:25:15 UTC 2010

Hi Albert,

There are some tools out there that already do a good job of this, and
take into consideration platform-specific error models, paired end
fragment length distributions, etc.  maq has an Illumina read
simulator that also simulates quality scores, and MetaSim has a nice
454 read simulator (and Illumina as well, though unfortunately doesn't
do quality scores for either).

But to answer your question, you'd first select a random fragment of
length $insert_length, and then take the two reads from the left and
right ends of the fragment (reading from 5' and 3'/revcomp
respectively).

Note that in a real-world DNA capture experiment targeting 10 kb,
you'd get some fragments that extend past the boundaries.

-Aaron