[Bioperl-l] Fwd: megablast using bioperl

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Tue Feb 2 00:27:16 UTC 2010

As I suspected, default gap penalties are different when running "megablast" and "blastall -p blastn -n T".
Here are hits to the same sequence obtained both ways:

Megablast
>gb|FJ882402.1|  Sus scrofa homeodomain transcription factor Nanog-like protein
           mRNA, complete cds
          Length = 925

 Score = 93.7 bits (47), Expect = 2e-15
 Identities = 129/155 (83%), Gaps = 8/155 (5%)
 Strand = Plus / Plus

Query: 427 atgagtgtggatccagcttgtccccaaagcttgccttgctttgaagcatccgactgtaaa 486
           |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||| ||||   ||||||||| | | |  |
Sbjct: 1   atgagtgtggatccagcttgtccccaaagcctgctttgccccgaagcatcc-att-tcca 58

Query: 487 g--aatcttcacctatgcctgtgatttgtgggcctgaagaaaactat-ccatccttgcaa 543
           |  |||||||||| ||||||| | ||| ||||||||||||||| ||| || ||||||||
Sbjct: 59  gcgaatcttcaccaatgcctgaggtttatgggcctgaagaaaattatgcc-tccttgcag 117

Query: 544 atgtcttctgctgagatgcctc-acacggagactg 577
           |||||  |||||||||  |||| |||| |||||||
Sbjct: 118 atgtcagctgctgagac-cctcgacaccgagactg 151

  Database: All GenBank+EMBL+DDBJ+PDB sequences (but no EST, STS,
  GSS,environmental samples or phase 0, 1 or 2 HTGS sequences)
    Posted date:  Jan 26, 2010  5:41 PM
  Number of letters in database: 29,627,559,461
  Number of sequences in database:  10,420,530

Lambda     K      H
    1.37    0.711     1.31

Gapped
Lambda     K      H
    1.37    0.711     1.31

Matrix: blastn matrix:1 -3
Gap Penalties: Existence: 0, Extension: 0
blastall -p blastn  -n T
>gb|FJ882402.1|  Sus scrofa homeodomain transcription factor Nanog-like protein
           mRNA, complete cds
          Length = 925

 Score = 89.7 bits (45), Expect = 3e-14
 Identities = 111/133 (83%)
 Strand = Plus / Plus

Query: 427 atgagtgtggatccagcttgtccccaaagcttgccttgctttgaagcatccgactgtaaa 486
           |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||| ||||   |||||||||   |  |
Sbjct: 1   atgagtgtggatccagcttgtccccaaagcctgctttgccccgaagcatccatttccagc 60

Query: 487 gaatcttcacctatgcctgtgatttgtgggcctgaagaaaactatccatccttgcaaatg 546
           ||||||||||| ||||||| | ||| ||||||||||||||| ||| | |||||||| |||
Sbjct: 61  gaatcttcaccaatgcctgaggtttatgggcctgaagaaaattatgcctccttgcagatg 120

Query: 547 tcttctgctgaga 559
           ||  |||||||||
Sbjct: 121 tcagctgctgaga 133

  Database: All GenBank+EMBL+DDBJ+PDB sequences (but no EST, STS,
  GSS,environmental samples or phase 0, 1 or 2 HTGS sequences)
    Posted date:  Jan 26, 2010  5:41 PM
  Number of letters in database: 29,627,559,461
  Number of sequences in database:  10,420,530

Lambda     K      H
    1.37    0.711     1.31

Gapped
Lambda     K      H
    1.37    0.711     1.31

Matrix: blastn matrix:1 -3
Gap Penalties: Existence: 5, Extension: 2

--Russell