[Bioperl-l] Fwd: megablast using bioperl

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon Feb 1 20:22:40 UTC 2010

Xiujing--
If you choose to use blast+, this is pretty easily done with
Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlastPlus :

 use Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlastPlus;
 $ENV{BLASTPLUSDIR} = "/path/to/blast+/bin";

 $fac = Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlastPlus->new(
    -db_name => '/path/to/blastdb/mydb'
);

 $result = $fac->blastn( -query => 'myqueryseqs.fas' );

 while ($hit = $result->next_hit) {
  # process hits
 }

Here, blastn is used, because in blast+, megablast is the default
algorithm. --to specify others, you set the -task parameter: e.g.,
legacy blastn would be

 $result = $fac->blastn( -query =. 'myqueryseqs.fas',
                                     -task => 'blastn' );

For much more information, please look at
http://bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO
and
http://bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:BlastPlus

Many questions you might have will be answered in those pages.
MAJ