[Bioperl-l] FYI: interesting stuff in BLAST 2.2.24 release announcement

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Tue Aug 24 17:00:14 UTC 2010

Here's a link to the manual:
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov//blast/executables/blast%2B/2.2.24/user_manual.pdf

(Is it on the NCBI website somewhere? Strange to have only a downloadable PDF.) The section on the new archive format is on page 27.

It seems like a nice idea to have the flexibility, but I wonder about the time cost of using this format.

One of the big gains from using tab-delimited output is that BLAST doesn't have to do all the post-processing to generate the alignment views. By doing the archive format, which if I understand it correctly is ASN.1, you're always paying the full price in time (and space, for that matter).

Dave