[Bioperl-l] Re: bioperl-db and postgres8.3 - status query

Siddhartha Basu sidd.basu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:39:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Chris Fields wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 10:59 -0500, Siddhartha Basu wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Elaborating on how Bio::Chado::Schema is developed:
> > >
> > > The vast majority of the code and POD in BCS is autogenerated by
> > > DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader.  DBICSL gives you a baseline set of
> > > DBIx::Class classes that covers all the tables, views, columns, unique
> > > constraints, and foreign key relationships.
> > >
> > > Beyond that, you have to add on yourself.  In BCS, we have mostly done
> > > things like:
> > >
> > >   * make better-named aliases for some of the autogenerated
> > >     relationships (though DBICSL does a surprisingly good job of naming
> > >     relationships automatically most of the time)
> > >   * add a tiny bit of bioperl compatibility (this needs a lot more work
> > >     by somebody, volunteers needed!)
> > >   * add convenience methods for using some of the Chado property tables
> > >   * use DBIx::Class::Tree::NestedSet to add some powerful ways of
> > >     traversing phylogenetic tree relationships
> > >
> > > Regarding DB backend specificity, BCS isn't Pg-specific at all, because
> > > DBIx::Class itself goes to great lengths to be compatible (and performant!)
> > > with just about every relational database out there.
> > I would vouch for that at least as far as chado in oracle is concerned.
> > So,  far BCS works out flawlessly with our oracle chado instance at
> > dictybase. Quite a chunk of BCS based code is also active in couple of
> > our Mojo based webapps. The part which i still couldn't use directly is
> > the 'synonym' table as it clashes with oracle specific reserved keywords.
> > However,  overall it seems to quite cross-RDMS compatible and highly
> > recommended.
> >
> > -siddhartha
>
> Just to point out, I didn't say BCS is Pg-specific, but that Chado is
> (that was the DBMS it was designed for).  Maybe that should be amended
> to 'was' now :)
>
> I recall seeing a page on this somewhere on the GMOD website along the
> lines of "MySQL has problems so we chose Pg", and that Chado support
> would focus on Pg.
As far as i understand GMOD stongly recommends and the popular backend
for chado is Pg. However, my point was if anybody wants to use or tryout chado
schema on a different backend or have an existing setup,
tools like DBIx::Class or particularly BCS makes it quite easier to do
so. The code developed on top also become quite robust and portable.

-siddhartha