[Bioperl-l] Re: [RFC] Interolog::Walk

Siddhartha Basu sidd.basu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 00:28:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Giuseppe Gallone wrote:

> Hello BioPerl community - I've written a new module called Interolog::Walk
> that I'm planning to put on CPAN. I would be grateful if you might take a
> look at the brief description I attached and tell me what you think. I'll
> be more than happy to post further details should the module be of some
> interest for someone.
>
> Also, I am not totally sure about having the correct name for it. This is
> my first module and It would be great if you could advise on naming it
> appropriately. Hopefully the following description will give an idea on
> what it does.
>
> ===================
>

> NAME
>     Interolog::Walk - Retrieve, score and visualize putative
> Protein-Protein Interactions through the orthology-walk method
>
> DESCRIPTION
>     A common activity in computational biology is to mine protein-protein
> interactions from publicly available databases in order to build
> Protein-Protein Interaction (PPI) datasets.
> In many instances, however, the number of experimentally obtained annotated
> PPIs is very scarce and it would be helpful to enrich the experimental
> dataset with high-quality, computationally-inferred PPIs. Such
> computationally-obtained dataset can extend, support or enrich experimental
> PPI datasets, and are of crucial importance in high-throughput gene
> prioritization studies, i.e. to drive hypotheses and restrict the
> dimensionality of many gene functional discovery problems.
> This Perl Module, Interolog::Walk, is aimed at building putative PPI
> datasets on the basis of a number of comparative biology paradigms: the
> module implements a collection of computational biology algorithms based on
> the concept of "orthology projection". If interacting proteins A and B in
> organism X have orthologs A' and B' in organism Y, under certain conditions
> one can assume that the interaction will be conserved in organism Y, i.e.
> the A-B interaction can be "projected through the orthologies" to obtain a
> putative A'-B' interaction. The pair of interactions (A-B) and (A'-B') are
> named "Interologs" (see for instance [1] and [2]).
>
> Interolog::Walk collects, analyses and collates gene orthology data
> provided by the Ensembl Consortium (www.ensembl.org) as well as PPI data
> provided by EBI Intact (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/intact/). It provides the user
> with the possibility of rating the quality and reliability of the putative
> interactions collected, by means of confidence scores, and optionally
> outputs network representations of the datasets, compatible with the
> biological network representation standard, Cytoscape.

Sounds interesting. I am currently playing around with a perl based webapp for displaying interactome
using cytoscapeweb. Depending how your design pans out,  would be happy to
use your module as a backend analysis layer. And on a related note,  you
might want to have a look at bioperl-network and if there is any overlap
might be worth contributing.

-siddhartha