[Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code - accepted students

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 26 22:02:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the acceptance of OBF's 2010 Google Summer of
Code students, listed in alphabetical order with their project titles
and primary mentors:

Mark Chapman (PM Andreas Prlic) - Improvements to BioJava including
Implementation of Multiple Sequence Alignment Algorithms

Jianjiong Gao (PM Peter Rose) - BioJava Packages for Identification,
Classification, and Visualization of Posttranslational Modification of
Proteins

Kazuhiro Hayashi (PM Naohisa Goto) - Ruby 1.9.2 support of BioRuby

Sara Rayburn (PM Christian Zmasek) - Implementing Speciation &
Duplication Inference Algorithm for Binary and Non-binary Species Tree

Joao Pedro Garcia Lopes Maia Rodrigues (PM Eric Talevich) - Extending
Bio.PDB: broadening the usefulness of BioPython's Structural Biology module

Jun Yin (PM Chris Fields) - BioPerl Alignment Subsystem Refactoring

Congratulations to our accepted students!

All told, we had 52 applications submitted for the 6 slots (5 originally
assigned, plus 1 extra) allotted to us by Google.  Proposals were
extremely competitive: 6 out of 52 translates to an 11.5% acceptance
rate.  We received a lot of really excellent proposals, the decisions
were not easy.

Thanks very much to all the students who applied, we very much
appreciate your hard work.

Here's to a great 2010 Summer of Code, I'm sure these students will do
some wonderful work.

Rob Buels
OBF GSoC 2010 Administrator