[Bioperl-l] Bioperl on GitHub

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 08:46:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Jason Stajich <jason at bioperl.org> wrote:
> I think we should migrate as well. The primary can also be at github if you
> like - the lack of code.open-bio system is a real problem that doesn't seem
> to be getting fixed....
> We could also make the primary github if need be?
>
> -jason

We (Biopython) and BioRuby certainly seem happy with github.

You've probably thought of the following issues, but just in case I've
written some thoughts from our migration.

If you want to go down this route, I would strongly urge you delete the
current github repositories and instead do a proper import from SVN
to git with the FULL history. I'd do this ASAP to disrupt as few users as
possible.

For BioPerl you have the four sub-repositories (bioperl-live etc) which
adds a later of complexity we didn't have to worry about.

I'd then suggest you continue with SVN on dev.open-bio.org as the
primary in the short to medium term, but declare github.com/bioperl
as the official mirror for anonymous read only access (via git or SVN).

You can then encourage the BioPerl devs to setup their own forks on
github, and experiment there with branching and merging - but for now
keep github.com/bioperl as read only, updated only via the SVN import
from dev.open-bio.org

We had a couple of months like that (all commits via CVS, pushed to
github), and I personally found it a very useful training period.

(Not wishing to dictate - these are just my suggestions for the outside
having been though something similar)

Regards,