[Bioperl-l] a Main Page proposal

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Mon Sep 21 17:03:56 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,
Thanks for taking on this (much needed) refresh.

I think your current version is substantially better than what we have now.
Still, I'd argue that something much more concise like the Biopython page
would make a bigger impact on visitors' ability to find what they're looking
for.

It's not that the details you have under each section shouldn't be
available, but rather that they could be clicked through to instead of being
on the front page.

The About section is a good example. I would bet most visitors to the
BioPerl website skip over the About section because they already know what
BioPerl is, and that section has the most valuable real estate on the page.
Those who don't know and are curious will probably be able to find it (the
word About on the front page of a website has become an idiom for "click her
to read the details about this").

Dave