[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tree:Statistics parsimony question

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Fri Oct 23 23:11:30 UTC 2009

I see.
You can use the add_trait method on the tree object; to this,
you provide a file containing a table of nodes X traits.
The following code works; it creates a trait table on the fly,
according to seq data given in the DATA section (after __END__).
Then in a loop, add_traits is used to add each position and calculate
the ps. There's probably a better way, but this could get you
started.

use Bio::Tree::Statistics;
use Bio::TreeIO;
use strict;
use warnings;

# tree file can be found in t/data...
my $in = Bio::TreeIO->new(-format => 'nexus',
     -file   => 'traittree.nexus');
my $obj = Bio::Tree::Statistics->new();

my $tree = $in->next_tree;

# make a trait table from the sequences
open(my $tmpf, ">seq.dat");
my $len = <DATA>;
chomp $len;
print $tmpf join("\t", "id", map { "pos".$_ } (1..$len)), "\n";
while (<DATA>) {
    chomp;
    my ($id, $seq) = split /\s+/;
    print $tmpf join( "\t", $id, split('', $seq) ), "\n";
}
close($tmpf);

# cycle through
my @pars;
for (1..$len) {
    my $key = $tree->add_trait('seq.dat', $_);
    push @pars, $obj->ps($tree, $key);
}

print join("\n", @pars);

__END__