[Bioperl-l] More general Bio::Assembly::Contig question (was Bio::Tools::Run::Cap3 usage question)

Paolo Pavan paolo.pavan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:35:03 UTC 2009

Dear Florent,
Thank you for your kind answer and for your efforts spent in this module.
Since you are working on these topics I would like to seize the day and put
you some questions about some doubts I have in mind, if you agree, of course
:-)
Some times ago I tried to work with bioperl, loading the data from an ACE
file originated by Newbler; my need was to extract part of the contig like
an alignment of reads and I tought to do it with a slice() method, since I
saw Bio::Assembly::Contig implements Bio::AlignI interface. Unfortunately I
realize that this interface is inherited but not implemented.
I tried to hack it by adding a slice method which would act on a
Bio::Alignment created from the array of LocatableSeqs representing the
reads.

This is the question:
If I'm not wrong (please correct me if yes), Bio::Assembly::Contig class
stores reads informations in:
Bio::Assembly::Contigs->{_elem}{READ_NAME}{_feat}{
     _align_clipping:READ_NAME}
     _aligned_coord:READ_NAME}
     _quality_clipping:READ_NAME}

Anyone of these 3 features _align_clipping, _aligned_coord,
_quality_clipping, contains a Bio::SeqFeature::Generic, which of them is
more suitable to the purpose expressed before, the slice method?
And more, If you apologize me for being too long, is consequently to the
previous: I don't have perfectly clear the purpose of this 3 feature per
read, can you explain it?

Really thanks you for the time you would spend.
Bye bye,
Paolo