[Bioperl-l] Installing Bio-perl on dreamhost via CPAN

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 20 13:00:45 UTC 2009

On Nov 20, 2009, at 4:44 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 02:21:54AM -0800, Chu, Roy a écrit :
>>
>> Does anyone use dreamhost as a web hosting service?  I'm just curious
>> if anyone has had any luck installing the module as their daemon seems
>> to kill my process whenever I try to install it.  Dreamhost tech
>> support attributes it to either exceeding the allocated memory cache
>> or exceeding the processing time.  I tried to nice the process, but
>> that didn't help for me.  Any luck or experience in resolving this
>> would be much appreciated.  I suppose my next attempt would be to try
>> installing it directly and hope I don't need root...
>
> Dear Roy,
>
> DreamHost uses Debian, so you can suggest them to install the Debian package.
> If you are in contact with the tech service, do not hesitate to tell them to
> contact me if they are interested by a backport of the 1.6.0 package. For
> version 1.6.1, it may be more difficult as it depends on perl 5.10.1.

Any reason why this is so?  We specify compatibility back to 5.6.1.

Alex mentioned the reliance on the specific Extutils::Manifest version.  The version requested has an important bug fix, is present on CPAN, and is backwards-compatible to 5.6.1.  It should be fairly easy to request that as a separate package.

A strict requirement for perl 5.10.1 doesn't make sense in that light, unless said perl maintainer can enlighten us as to why this is an issue?  This one may require a ranty blog post.