[Bioperl-l] the binary formerly known as WU-BLAST (Was: experimental Bio::Search::Tiling implementation)

Erich Schwarz emsch at its.caltech.edu
Tue May 19 19:54:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Mark A. Jensen wrote:

> Jason's usual remarks involve the use of wu-blast with the --links
> option, and wu-blast has recently turned commercial and is
> evidently costly to obtain.

    Is AB-BLAST (the putative successor to WU-BLAST) obtainable
*anywhere* on any terms?  The only information I've been able to get
has been this rather unhelpful site:

    http://www.advbiocomp.com/
    http://www.advbiocomp.com/faq.html

whose FAQ has been claiming availability "soon" for the last half
year.

    I wouldn't care, except that [1] I belatedly moved my heavier
computing jobs from an i686 Linux box to an x86_64 megabox, and [2]
a repeat-finding package I will probably need to be running fairly
often in 2009-2010:

    http://www.repeatmasker.org/RepeatModeler.html

relies on WU-BLAST i686 binaries which don't work terribly well on
x86_64, and for which I cannot get x86_64 replacements.

    Sorry to go on a tangent, but I'd appreciate any information
anybody has about getting WU-BLAST effectively replaced.

--Erich