[Bioperl-l] Getting 'features' from SearchIO?

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Mon May 11 15:38:14 UTC 2009

Dan -

There is nice documentation on the gmod website covering the gbrowse
tutorial on the expected format of alignment features.   That is what
you should probably be generating and loading with the
bp_seqfeature_load script -- otherwise you need to be converting the
HSPs into seqfeatures with the right associated information (i.e. the
tag/value pairs that are in the 9th column) in order to have well
structured data in the database.

There are boilerplate examples of how to visualize alignments on the
Gbrowse tutorial website as well so I commend that as great starting
place for GFF, data, conf files, and what kind of visualization you
can obtain with the browser.

There is also some helper scripts, that do this for you like
bp_search2gff. Just dumping the feature will take the query ( i
believe) of the feature pair that is the HSP by default, so you will
need to make some choices about what information you want.  You can
get the individual features from the feature pair with $hsp->query  or
$hsp->hit  which can also be passed to a GFF writer (or call $hsp->hit-
 >gff_string).   Note that since the data storage is not structured in
a GFF3 like-way this won't immediately produce well formed GFF3 for
the 9th column.

Here's a script I use for some DNA to genome alignments, from FASTA
output for example - it assumes 1 HSP per Hit as per what you get from
SSEARCH but is a reasonable jumping off place.
  http://bit.ly/fasta2gff

There is also a wublast to gff converting script in that repository as
well.

-jason