[Bioperl-l] Offering to help

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:34:47 UTC 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Bryan Bishop wrote:

>> If there is anything else that you feel that I would be able to do,
>> I'd
>> be happy to. My current field is more involved with wet-lab work
>> (antibody engineering), but I like programming a lot and I think this
>> will be a great chance to keep learning while still contributing.
>
> I've been doing some work on XMLization of lab protocols. Would you be
> interested in this? It's kind of a cross-section of managing an
> experiment and doing some programming, meanwhile bioperl has
> traditionally focused on access to bioinformatics datasets, which
> sadly doesn't include protocols (yikes!).
>
> - Bryan
> http://heybryan.org/
> 1 512 203 0507

Bryan,

For an example of how to get involved with BioPerl search the mail
archives for the recent Bio::DB::HIV work by Mark Jensen, now in
BioPerl 1.6.

We would happily support lab protocols if we have a standard to go by
(i.e. schema to work with) and someone willing to code and maintain
modules related to their use.  As for a place to fit in, we have the
various Bio::Biblio modules; I could easily see protocols fitting into
that namespace, though I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with the overall
structure/purpose of Bio::Biblio.