[Bioperl-l] bioperl-dev or branch? : redux

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Wed Jun 17 16:47:38 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I thought I'd revisit this thread, since in the last couple weeks,
have used both techniques (bioperl-dev and branch from trunk) to
produce completed projects. My thoughts:

Using bioperl-dev was very nice for creating Bio::Search::Tiling, a
new addition to the core api. There was no pressure to conform to the
existing api there. In particular, there was no implicit insistence to
make things work through Bio::Search::Utils, and I was free to factor
it out. The Tiling api was definitely unstable until the end, when it
was ported to the core. As I made regular reports to bioperl-l,
everything was transparent and up front, and I received excellent
suggestions there (as usual).

For Bio::Restriction, using the branch was just as natural. Here, the
existing structure was well established, and all the work needed to
happen beneath the api. All old t/Restriction tests needed to pass,
and additional ones created for the new functionality. So here, using
bioperl-dev wasn't natural, even though some "experiments" needed to
be tried (some succeeded and some failed, as you can see in the
commentary at Bug #2855). Even though the new code turned out to
require substantial effort, the effort was required to fix a true bug
in the working core, and any fixes needed to work transparently with
respect to the users for whom this bug had not been an issue. Using
the branch made it relatively easy to merge quickly back into the core
when done, and there is a certain psychological pressure too provided
by an open branch which is helpful.

Hilmar raised the very good point in the previous discussion that
(essentially) bioperl-dev shouldn't become a sandbox with lots of
unfinished code scraps and derelict stuff that doesn't work. My view
is bioperl-dev will become a sandbox only if we treat it like
one. I've filled out the Bioperl-dev page on the wiki
(http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Bioperl-dev) with this in mind. Providing
some recognition to devs there whose modules become part of the
core may be a better way to insure that projects that are started on
bioperl-dev actually get finished, than to prescribe beforehand what
kinds of projects may get started. I believe this follows the adage of
liberality on what is accepted, and strictness on what is emitted.

cheers,
MAJ