[Bioperl-l] A new name for Bio::Moose?

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:23:03 UTC 2009

Robert,

Herein lies the namespace problem.  What namespace would we inhabit
with Bioperl 2?  Bio2::*?

We can't place anything in Bio w/o running into potential problems re:
namespace collisions, both locally and on CPAN (yes, I do intend on
releasing to CPAN at some point).  Bio* primary maintainer is
BIOPERLML, so releasing a Bio::Annotation::Foo on CPAN would
potentially collide with any BioPerl Bio::Annotation::Foo as an
unauthorized release.  If all code is sequestered in
Bio::Moose::Annotation::Foo, we don't have a problem beyond it
requiring more typing, hence the request for a name change
(preferrably something short) ;>

Anyway, for all intents and purposes, if everything works out it will
very likely become bioperl 2.0, and the old Bio::Moose (or whatever)
will be deprecated on CPAN in favor of this.  Until then, it is simply
a side project to explore the feasibility of moving to a Moose-based
framework.  We can then work on reimplementing the various split-off
Bio::* we have been discussing elsewhere.

One main side benefit of doing this: it's incredibly freeing.  I'm
finding numerous places where we could optimize things in BioPerl,
even in the case should this not pan out.  For instance, memoize and
clone locations instead of creating everything de novo.  Annotations
and AnnotationCollections could be lightened considerably if the
proper framework were provided, something like Data::Stag or XPath.
Also, I have found other instances that will be beneficial to a perl6-
based implementation (roles vs interfaces primarily).  I'll be posting
here and blogging about these along the way.

chris