[Bioperl-l] how to stop prerequisite modules auto-installing

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Sun Jul 26 19:33:33 UTC 2009

Joel Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>    I went to test bioperl-live and Build.PL started updating
> modules in my perl install w/o prompting me, frightening!  I
> really need to test modules and other groups here need to
> test them before they're updated so we don't break anything
> when some module's api changes.
>
>    I did svn co of bioperl-live then
>
> perl Build.PL PREFIX=/scratch/bioperl-live
>
> saw some output including
> "I think you ran Build.PL directly, so will use CPAN to install prerequisites on demand"
>
> then it went to cpan and tried updating Data::Stag in
> my perl install.
>
> How can I ask it to prompt me before updating modules ( so
> I can put the updated versions somewhere for it to find
> that isn't the live perl install )?

Unfortunately, for those few (5) modules that are currently "absolutely
required", it doesn't ask, it just updates.

Data::Stag actually has a comment next to it suggesting it isn't even
"absolutely required". So you could just comment that line out
completely in Build.PL as a temporary fix.

Otherwise, since it will be using CPAN to install modules, you can just
arrange beforehand for CPAN to install to your desired location using
the CPAN configuration system.