[Bioperl-l] genbank (blast) alignments

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 23 22:53:29 UTC 2009

Lots of emails to answer, so little time.  Doesn't help when my VPN
goes out either ;>

What you want appears to be generating a multiple alignment from
pairwise alignment.   The answer is 'very likely not'.  However, the
local BLAST executable does have several options for generating
alignments from HSP data (assuming that's what you mean):

-m :     alignment view options:
	0 = pairwise,
	1 = query-anchored showing identities,
	2 = query-anchored no identities,
	3 = flat query-anchored, show identities,
	4 = flat query-anchored, no identities,
	5 = query-anchored no identities and blunt ends,
	6 = flat query-anchored, no identities and blunt ends,
	7 = XML Blast output,
	8 = tabular,
	9 tabular with comment lines [Integer] default = 0

You can set this by reformatting on the BLAST web site (here's a chunk
of the output, note the query):

Query         61   PVTVGEIDITLYRDDLS-KKTSND-E--PLVKGADIPVDIT-------
DQKVILVDDVLY  109
NP_389430     61   PVTVGEIDITLYRDDLS-KKTSND-E--PLVKGADIPVDIT-------
DQKVILVDDVLY  109
YP_001421124  61   PVTVGEIDITLYRDDLT-KKTSNE-E--PLVKGADIPADIT-------
DQKVIVVDDVLY  109
YP_078940     63   KVTVGELDITLYRDDLS-KKTSNK-E--PLVKGADIPADIT-------
DQKVILVDDVLY  111
ZP_03053294   61   PVIVGELDITLYRDDLT-KKTENQ-D--PLVKGADIPADIN-------
DKTLIVVDDVLF  109
YP_001486689  61   PVIVGELDITLYRDDLT-KKTDNQ-D--PLVKGADIPADIN-------
DKTLIVVDDVLF  109
YP_002949168  60   AVPVGELDITLYRDDLT-VKTIDH-E--PLVKGTDVPFDVT-------
NKKVILVDDVLF  108
ZP_01860800   61   KMPVGEIDITLYRDDLT-VKTANE-E--PEVKGSDLPVDVT-------
DKKVILIDDVLF  109
ZP_04121773   61   EMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
ZP_04218628   61   EMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
YP_002316154  66   SIPVGELDITLYRDDLT-VKTDDR-E--PLVKGTDVPFSVT-------
NQKVILVDDVLF  114
ZP_00240953   61   EMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNE-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
YP_037953     61   EIEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
ZP_04193166   61   KMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
NP_833611     61   EMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109
ZP_03018932   61   EMEVGELDITLYRDDLT-LQSKNK-E--PLVKGSDIPVDIT-------
KKKVILVDDVLY  109

We do not have a parser for that format, BTW, but it wouldn't be too
hard to get something working quickly based on one of the current
parsers.  Probably could go AlignIO or SearchIO (or both).

chris